Sunday 1 May 2011

Today's Review: Whittard's Dreamtime Tea



I have a confession. One that shakes the very foundation of my British identity. I don't really like tea. I don't really like lager either, but tea is decidedly more British. For those of you who haven't swooned yet, it's okay, I'm partial to the odd cup, it's just never appealed to me. I didn't like coffee until a few years ago either, but I trained myself to like that so I could appear to be a hipster. With tea though, no such luck.

It doesn't really taste of anything. I only enjoy tea with sugar, and then I'd probably ne just as happy drinking warm, wet sugar. I'm a man who prefers some flavour in his life. I can't stand water, but pop some squash in and I'm game. I'd swap spirits and beer for fruit cider any day. And now I have found a substitute for tea that is truly awesome.

I've dabbled in fruity teas before. The outcomes have been less than pleasant, and I've never really settled on anything that I'd actively pay money for. But a trip to Whittard's one day (my friend works there, I don't frequent specialty hot beverage shops) resulted in a taste test of Dreamtime, a fruity tea that I instantly fell in love with.

Not that it's all that fruity. Dreamtime is a blend of honey, apricot and vanilla. I've tried all the old honey type hot drinks before when my throat is screaming in pain, but I've always found them to be too sickly. Dreamtime, however, has just the right amount when combined with the apricot, to give it a fruity yet surprisingly smooth flavour. I can't really taste the vanilla, but I get the feeling it would taste a bit off without it, because vanilla is just awesome.

The Whittard's website states that it's a perfect drink to have before bed, and I'd have to agree with that. It calms me down after a hard day, but it doesn't make me too sleepy, but that's probably because I'm a big strong man and drinks can't tell me what to do. The description also states that there's camomile in it that relaxes your aching bones. I'm not sure if it's medically possible for consumed tea to spread through your bones, but if Trading Standards are anything to believe, that statement must be true. So I'm sure my bones will start to psychosomatically heal themselves whenever I have a cup of this tea. Then it will be even more awesome.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment