Monday 10 October 2011

Today's Review: The Poster On An Empty Shop Near My Place


There's an art shop on the road leading to town that's been open for as long as I can remember. But now, sadly it has closed down. Probably because their stuff was really expensive. But I did buy some scented highlighters in there, which was nice. 

But now that it's empty, Tesco are poised to move in and add another store to their Chelmsford range, despite having two already within 10 minutes walking distance. Well, the street this store is on still has a nice range of independent local stores, and understandably they're not too happy about Tesco moving in right next to them. There are a few posters up in their windows, but then someone put this one up. I'm not sure I understand the message.

Certainly at first glance it's obvious it's an anti-Tesco message. But they way they've gone about it is strange. Are they proposing that we throw petrol bombs through the window of this empty store, or is it when Tesco opens. Either way, why would we use Tesco Value petrol bombs? Isn't Tesco the enemy here? We should be making our own. Destroying Tesco with their own petrol bombs would be pretty ironic, but I'm sure Tesco don't sell petrol bombs anyway.

Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way. Maybe the people are just concerned about the quality of their petrol bombs suffering if they buy them from a vast corporation. I don't know what's in a Tesco Value petrol bomb, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be as explosive as one a local guy down the street would knock up for me. Stop providing us with shoddy explosives, supermarket assholes! What if it accidentally blows my face off?

At least we get a bit of text to steer us in the right direction. "The people vs The supermarkets". Clearly it's war. But if Tesco are manufacturing the petrol bombs it's clear who's going to win. Even so, I don't see how the people can be against the supermarkets. Supermarkets need people. While it's true that local businesses will certainly lose out on pricing, it is ultimately up to the people to decide where they shop. So let's stop threatening people with petrol bombs, and set up a good old fashioned store based battle of wits instead. No more silly posters.

My rating: 0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment