Tuesday 24 January 2012

Today's Review: MRI Scans

I went for a head scan this morning, as I am clearly a medical marvel who has doctors baffled. My destination was a big ass MRI machine, which I have been in before, but purely for a psychological study on how left handed people use their brain differently.


The machine looks like that. I didn't take a picture of my one, I'd left my phone and ring in the waiting room because MRI scanners don't like metal. See that caged bit near the top of the bed? That's where my head went, before I was slid backwards into the ring. It's quite cramped in there, just enough room for your body and arms to go in. If you're claustrophobic and need an MRI scan, I would suggest trying to do something about that fear first. Or hey, just go for it. Flooding is sometimes the best way to deal with a phobia, except this machine makes a crapload of noise and is mostly used to find out what's wrong with you.

I was given the option of listening to music during my scan. I said no, but then I was told it would last 25 minutes and I didn't want to say "Oh bloody hell, in that case stick Radio 1 on." Anyway, in I went, and the machine booted up. It does make some odd noises. Probably still better than the music I would've been subjected to, I just pretended I was listening to some rudimentary dubstep.

Problem was, I was a little bit tired. I tried to keep my eyes open, but failing that I just decided to keep them closed and hope the noise would keep me awake. I had some pretty strange daydreams, and I don't remember any of them, but I don't think I properly fell asleep, just had a nice little doze. The first time I went in one of these I had to look at words and think of corresponding words, and I struggled to keep awake then. But this time all I had to do was lie there, so it was nice to have a little relaxation time. Gawd, I hope I didn't snore, they have mics in there...

Anyway, MRI scans aren't bad at all. Unless you're afraid of small spaces. But I would gladly go in there again and have a nice little scan doze. Hopefully without the medical problems that would require me to go in there. Perhaps one day when I'm a vampire who lives in a hospital for some reason I can use this as my futuristic coffin.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment