Friday 9 March 2012

Today's Review: Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1


Hooray, it's that time again. All the old gang are back. We've got Bella, the pale emo girl who never smiles, Edward, the pale whiny vampire, and Jacob, the surprisingly bronzed guy who turns into a wolf when he gets pissed off. Bella and Edward become happily married in Breaking Dawn, ushering in a whole new life of being happy and carefree togeth... Oh wait, Bella gets knocked up with a vampire baby that starts to kill her from the inside.

Not much more to say about the plot, because that's it. I don't see why they split this final book into two movies. Oh wait, yes I do, it's so they can drag out the franchise and get twice as much money. But still, Breaking Dawn Part 1 is quite an uneventful movie. Sure, there are the suspenseful scenes near the end, and it does get quite interesting then, but the first half is taken up by slow motion airy romantic scenes that didn't really get me anywhere near emotional because Bella NEVER smiles. She just seems to drift along accepting whatever happens to her.

I guess that's part of Bella's character, but I can't be too sure. I think I've seen Kristen Stewart exhibit emotion in other movies, but her portrayal of Bella is so dull I'm beginning to wonder if the character is just emotionally mentally damaged. The other performances are a little better, but Robert Pattinson just does his broody pale guy thing scowling in the corner, while Taylor Lautner just sneers a lot while showing off his pecs.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh, but this is definitely my second least favourite movie in the franchise. New Moon was the worst purely because half of it was just Bella crying. They did do somethings quite well in Breaking Dawn Part 1. When Bella starts to deteriorate due to vampire baby, whoever was in charge of her make-up and digital body work did a damn good job, she looks like a near-dead drug addict. In fact, all the effects are pretty nice, and the movie does look pretty damn good in some places. It's just a shame that the story and cast are so slow and bland. Oh well, one more movie and it's all over.

My rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment