Thursday 20 September 2012

Today's Review: Losing A Remote/Controller

I've lost my XBox 360 controller. Not in an untimely death kind of way, I guess the correct term is "misplaced", but it sure feels like a loss.

So many things are controlled remotely these days. It used to be that if you lost the TV remote, it didn't really matter, you could just twist the dials on the set itself and everything would be okay. But now I can only perform rudimentary functions with the few buttons tucked under my screen. If I want to tune the thing, or press the red button, turn on subtitles, activate 3D mode, I need that remote or I'm screwed. I guess that's the price we pay for having so much functionality and sleek design.

Controllers for consoles are the worst to lose though. Without those the entire system is rendered useless. Games will sit there on the shelf gathering dust because there is simply no way to interact with them. The best you can do with the buttons on a console is turn it on or eject a disc. So when that controller goes missing it's the worst. The trouble is they make them so damn small nowadays too. We're a pretty storage-savvy family, so at any given time there are countless nooks, crannies and boxes that a misplaced remote could be hiding in. Especially with damn kids and their ways.

Thankfully I have a previously kinda broken XBox controller that I've managed to kimmy into semi-working order with a screwdriver. So that'll do until I find my regular one embedded in the cat litter or something. But losing stuff sucks.

My rating: 0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment