Thursday 25 April 2013

Today's Review: Drying Up

I have mentioned my hatred of washing up before, but since then I've been washing up more frequently, and in a systematic order, and the experience, while still not good, is more bearable. The part of washing up that I still don't like, although I did at one point in my life, is the drying up afterwards.

The theory is that after you wash all your plates, cups and utensils, you should grab the nearest tea towel and wipe all that shit down so you can put it away and make your kitchen look brand new and unused. I used to dry up for my granddad many years ago, so there's some nostalgia in it for me, but nowadays I absolutely hate drying up. This is because I've found that if you simply let the stuff sit in the draining board and return an hour later, all the stuff is dry and bubble free. I mean, that's why they call it a draining board, all the water drains off.

So really, what is the point of drying up? It gets the kitchen looking nicer, sure, but I'm always in and out of the kitchen getting food and drinks, because I have children who think it's normal to eat the world every day. So really, it's beneficial to me to have a selection of plates and cutlery sitting in the draining board for me to grab. But really, it's the actual wiping that gets me. While you may start out with a clean, dry tea towel, before long it's going to be a dirty, wet tea towel, that you're still poking into your glasses to wipe off the actual clean, soapy water. It seems backwards to me. Don't even get me started on having to manoeuvre the towel into the most stubborn suds underneath rims of bowls and at the bottom of glasses. Drying up dishes is a stupid thing to do. Just leave it, go do something else, and come back to nice dry plates. I won't judge you for not putting everything away immediately.

My rating: 0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment