Saturday 6 April 2013

Today's Review: M:Tech Gyro Flyer

Of all the toys we unwrapped and tried out today, this has to be the best one. While it may say 14+ on the box, my two year old was transfixed by one of these in Menkind a few months back, and since it was on sale, we thought why not. I'm guessing it's only 14+ due to its potential to cause bodily harm.

Once you unwrap this bad boy and put in the 6 AAs necessary to run the remote (not great...), in addition to charging up the helicopter itself via USB or mains power, you're good to go. Be warned that the first time you try this will not be pretty. In all likelihood you'll launch it straight up to the ceiling, sending it crashing back down again. You have to find the sweet spot on the up/down throttle in order to maintain a safe level of flight. Well, I don't know, maybe people figure these things out before trying out toys. I just wing it.

Yes, it takes a little while to get used to, but once you've send it plummeting to the ground or into people's bodies a few times you should start to get the hang of it. It's pretty easy and smooth to control. There's the obvious up/down stick, and also one that lets you turn left and right, and go forwards and backwards, as well as a little knob to stop any erratic turning the helicopter might do on its own. I've only taken it for a few flights now, and I can quite easily manoeuvre it around my tiny rooms. But if you're worried about the crashing, rest assured that this is a durable machine. No parts have broken in the several times it's hit the floor, and it hasn't cut any flesh open yet either, so that's a bonus.

I'm definitely planning on having lots of fun with this toy, my next step is to obviously set up an obstacle course of rings and the like. It's a cheap, easily controlled, durable little chopper. The only downside is the power, what with the previously mentioned 6 AAs, and also the relatively small 5-8 minute flight time received from 50 minutes charge. But hey, five minutes is enough to not let me get too bored I guess, and I have no idea how long these things are supposed to fly for anyway. But I sure am enjoying the airtime I do get.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment