Sunday 30 June 2013

Today's Review: Passion Fruit

Passion fruits are one of the staple flavours of the "tropical" persuasion, and is featured in many an exotic juice or yoghurt. The flavour is very sweet, but also quite tangy, and is quite delicious really. But that's just the juicy version. What of the fruit itself? Well, it's very weird.

Passion fruits are small, about the size of a kiwi (the fruit, not the bird, although I don't know how big kiwi birds are). The outsides are pretty tough, even if they do get a bit wrinkly, so slicing them in half is essential. Upon doing so you are treated to some fantastically moist innards consisting of pulp and a butt load of seeds. Obviously, the pulp is where the flavour lies, that distinctive sweet taste. This is very smooth, and quite satisfying. The seeds, on the other hand, are pretty much inedible. I've tried many a time to crunch these little buggers in my teeth and have only managed to a few times. Still, it's hard to eat around them, and they certainly won't kill you, besides, the juiciness of the pulp makes swallowing the damn things a breeze.

Passion fruits are certainly tasty, but I just wish there weren't so many seeds, they spoil the whole experience for me. I think I'll just leave it up to the professionals to distill that flavour into a drinkable. form. Much easier.

My rating: 3/5

1 comment: