Monday 20 January 2014

Today's Review: Smucker's Goober Grape Peanut Butter & Jelly


Peanut butter and jelly is an American institution that seems to be reviled by the entire rest of the world. I must admit that when I first heard of it I was pretty appalled, but the time came when I was curious, and when I ventured to America I could easily pick up a jar of Smucker's Goober, which has both in the same jar, and spread it liberally on some bread to find out what the fuss was about.

I could go into detail about the terminology of jams and jellies between the US and UK, but for any Englishmen out there, this jar does not contain jam in the traditional British sense, nor jelly in the traditional British sense. It's sort of like a jam, but very smooth, with no pips, and I am glad for that, because any other texture would mean that putting it with peanut butter would be an abhorrent idea. I'm sure many of you think that even putting this kind of jam with peanut butter is pretty disgusting, but I say don't knock it until you've tried it, and I actually do enjoy a peanut butter and jelly sandwich from time to time. This Smucker's peanut butter is smooth and creamy, and mixed with the jelly, while certainly an acquired taste, contains a nice fruity kick that makes the whole experience quite sweet and filling. 

This spread may not be up there with Nutella, or even solo peanut butter in my eyes, but it's certainly a tasty treat if you fancy something different. Don't just dismiss the idea of peanut butter and jelly, embrace it, and spread it on your bread. You might be surprised.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment