Tuesday 4 March 2014

Today's Review: Tesco Finest Salted Caramel Sauce


I don't normally indulge too heavily in Pancake Day, but this year I thought I might as well try a few, with some interesting filling in place of the usual lemon juice and sugar. So upon searching the shelves I found this little jar of salted caramel dessert sauce, and since I've certainly had some nice salted caramel foods lately I thought it was worth a go.

The first thing I noticed is that it certainly has a caramel flavour. The main ingredient in here is "partially inverted refiners syrup", a term I'd never heard of before, but upon further research I found that it's pretty much the result of some funky chemical reactions in refining sugar, which is what gives this sauce its distinct caramel taste. Apart from that we have condensed milk, double cream, salted butter and sea salt, so all good stuff. If by good stuff I mean stuff that's bad for you but tastes good.

Yes, there's a lot of creamy, sugary stuff in the ingredients, and it certainly shows in the flavour. In small portions, this sauce is thick and creamy, with a lovely smooth caramel taste. But after eating just a few spoonfuls I found it to be quite stodgy and sickly. It's probably my taste buds giving up and teaching me about moderation, but I can't help but feel that this sauce would benefit from being a bit lighter, there are just too many sweet flavours compounding into a sugar extravaganza. 

This is a nice sauce, but it gets too much a little too quickly. It certainly works well with pancakes, and would probably liven up anything you wish to spread it on. Just don't have too much at once.

My rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. "But after eating just a few spoonfuls I found it to be quite stodgy and sickly. "

    Well like any caramel/treacle/sugar it's not really meant to be eaten straight from the jar on its own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I'd agree with that. I had this on pancakes, but perhaps I did spread it a bit liberally.

      Delete