Sunday 20 July 2014

Today's Review: Retro Corn: Rhubarb And Custard


I spied an interesting range of popcorn in my local newsagent the other day. This Retro Corn is popcorn flavoured with different retro sweets, from pear drops to pineapple cubes to the one I picked up, rhubarb and custard. 

It's nice to see an interesting range of sweet popcorn flavours, and the thought of classic sweets mixed in was one I couldn't resist. For the most part, it's done extremely well. As the packaging states, this is sweets literally crushed over popcorn, and so there is a bit of inconsistency in the coverage. Some kernels may not have much sweet dust at all, while others may have a fair bit. It's never too overwhelming though, and the flavour of the sweets blends in really well with the crunchy popcorn kernels. The fact that they're real crushed up sweets certainly lends an authenticity to the flavour as well. This is a nice, tangy, crunchy popcorn, and a great idea that has already been made into a tempting range. I look forward to trying the other varieties.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment