Wednesday 26 November 2014

Today's Review: Tesco Finest Mature Devonshire Cheddar & Norfolk Ale Chutney Crisps


My word, that's a mouthful. It seems these days all the food has to say which part of Britain the ingredients come from, just so everyone knows just how British they are. "Cheddar & Ale Chutney" was all I needed to know, not the geographical origins. Is Norfolk ale chutney really the best ale chutney? I don't know, but I doubt I'm going to get the full effect when it's powdered and sprinkled onto potatoes. But hey, these crisps might be pretty good. I mean, I'm not a big fan of cheese crisps, or ale, but I was willing to give these the benefit of the doubt.

Well, these crisps certainly are cheesy. It's definitely something of a mature flavour, but it's quite smooth at the same time. My tastebuds weren't overloaded with cheesiness, because I was certainly picking up a distinct ale flavour as well. It helps to distract from the cheese, and the chutney element shines through as well, delivering some nice, fruity undertones. Unfortunately, this only lasts for a little while, before the cheese takes over the show, but for that little while these crisps are something a little different, but not quite as insane as some of the flavours I've tried over the years. I can't say I'm a big fan of these, as while I did notice the hints of ale, I don't really like the taste. But for some distinctly British crisps this Christmas time, these deliver something a little bit different, without straying too far from classic roots.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment