Tuesday 13 January 2015

Today's Review: Tesco Free From Belgian Chocolate Melt In The Middle Puddings


Following my gluten free main course from yesterday, here's the dessert I picked up with my Tesco vouchers. These can be found in the frozen aisle Free From section, and the pack consists of two gluten free, what free Belgian chocolate puddings. They certainly look chocolatey enough, and that was enough to persuade me to pick them up. You can either pop them in the microwave or oven for a quick dessert option.

Well, the puddings look exactly like they do in the picture, so that's a good start. They're perhaps the size of your average single serve pudding, though a little shorter, so they're not all that big. But the calorific content is certainly nothing to be sniffed at, at a whopping 431 calories per pudding. Biting into one, I found out why. These are extremely chocolatey, it's all I could taste with each bite. The sponge is certainly nice, despite being gluten free you can't taste it, the chocolate trumps anything else in there. 

The main attraction is the melt in the middle part, although in my experience it was more of a "melt throughout" scenario. I was able to get a bit of the sauce inside with every bite, and I was sad to find I wasn't too impressed. It's certainly chocolatey, but it's a lot darker than the chocolate found in the sponge, so while it starts out sweet, the bitterness of the inside quickly comes through and threatens to take over. So while the chocolate drew me in, it eventually turned into a weak point. These certainly aren't all bad, but there are probably better desserts out there for gluten free folks to tuck into. If you like your puddings sickly and high in calories though, these are the ones for you.

My rating: 2/5


1 comment:

  1. Great review! I tried the M&S melt in the middle puddings and they were really nice (although obviously not gluten free!) :)

    ReplyDelete