Monday 3 August 2015

Today's Review: Marks & Spencer British Pudding Sweets


Here's an acquisition from M&S that has been sitting in my cupboard for a while. I've so far had mixed opinions on the M&S summer sweets range, but these looked pretty good so it was hard to pass them up. This bag contains a whole load of tiny, hard sweets, with flavours pertaining to classic British puddings. We have Eton mess, lemon meringue and cherry bakewell. They also contain a cracknel centre, which the internet informs me is a brittle sweet made from set melted sugar. You learn something new every day I guess. 

The flavours aren't too bad. The lemon meringue certainly has a distinct lemon flavour, and is nice and sweet. The Eton mess is a bold, creamy berry flavoured affair. The cherry bakewell is initially disappointing, just possessing a fruity taste. But that soon changes when the outer sweet gives way to the cracknel underneath. It's quite an abrupt change, I would have been quite happy sucking on the sweet all the way to the core, but once it crumbles you're met with a very brittle centre that tends to get stuck in the teeth while chewing. It's also where the nuances of the sweets lie, the meringue, cream and marzipan flavours tend to be more concentrated in the centre, and it's something of a sickly change. It does bring each flavour together to a nice conclusion, but I would have preferred it if both the texture and flavour were more consistent. These sweets were a nice idea, but I don't think I'll be buying them again, I'm not a fan of the execution.

My rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment