Sunday 6 September 2015

Today's Review: Dr. Oetker Chocolate Chip Mug Cake


Want a fresh baked cake, but can't be bothered with all the baking? Well, the mug cake has been doing the rounds on the internet for a while now, a few simple ingredients poured into a cup, nuked and ready to eat. I've tried one of those before, and the result wasn't too bad. But if you can't even be bothered with mixing up all that stuff, Dr. Oetker have you covered, with these mug cake mixes. All you gotta do is put some milk in a mug, stir in this powder and blitz it for just over a minute. Ta da, fresh baked (?) cake.


Well, that's not quite as neat as the one on the packet, but hey, it's cake. When I found these I could choose between rich chocolate and this chocolate chip variety, I went for the slightly blander one to properly gauge the quality of the cake. It's certainly not bad. It's quite moist and fluffy, although it is a little sticky and sickly. The chocolate chips are plentiful and nicely spread throughout, certainly a better job than I could do from raw ingredients. It's got a nice hint of vanilla to it as well, and I certainly enjoyed making my way through it. It's nice to be able to eat a warm, freshly baked cake, although the microwave method clearly doesn't provide as good a quality cake as those you'd make in the oven. Still, it's a very good effort, and certainly an option for those who want a warm cake in a hurry. I'll certainly be interested to try out the lemon flavour in the future.

My rating: 4/5

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I know this is from two years ago but me and my roommate have been trying to figure out how to get our cake mugs to fill the whole mug. please share your secret. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall doing anything outside the directions on the packet, so I can't help you there. Do you have really big mugs? I feel the problem could be solved by getting a smaller mug.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I know this is from two years ago but me and my roommate have been trying to figure out how to get our cake mugs to fill the whole mug. please share your secret. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete