Saturday 5 September 2015

Today's Review: Malt-O-Meal Chocolate Flavour Marshmallow Mateys


One of the best things about having a B&M nearby is that I can get a nice cheap fix of American cereals. Well, off-brand American cereals anyway. They stock a lot of the Malt-O-Meal stuff, like Apple Zings and Colossal Crunch (which I haven't reviewed yet apparently, look out for that one). But here's one I hadn't seen before, a chocolate variety of Marshmallow Mateys, which is a cut price version of Lucky Charms. I would have gone for the regular, but every time I've tried Lucky Charms recently they weren't as good as I remembered. I figured having some chocolate thrown in would liven things up a bit.

This cereal contains a bunch of sizeable chocolate balls, sprinkled with some marshmallow pieces that look pretty similar to their Lucky Charms counterparts. They taste the same too, which is what counts, sweet, slightly chewy marshmallow pieces that actually taste better with milk. These are the things people seem to go crazy for when reminiscing about Lucky Charms, but to be honest, I don't thing they're all that great. They're nice and sweet, sure, but they do taste a little odd in a cereal bowl. The chocolate cereal balls are pretty nice, large and chocolatey with a nice crunch, even when they're drowned in milk. They are perhaps a little bit dry, and they do outnumber the marshmallows, which means they drown out the other flavours. On top of that, they seem to be distinctly heavier than the marshmallow pieces, while I was tipping the box the chocolate fell out at a much faster rate, leaving the marshmallows behind, I had to resort to digging my hand in to get a decent proportion of both. So really, while it's a nice enough cereal, it's not particularly great. While the individual elements are nice, when put together they don't quite gel too well. I'll probably give the regular Marshmallow Mateys a go in the future, but these are a bit hit and miss.

My rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment