Tuesday 22 September 2015

Today's Review: Old El Paso Restaurante Baja Fish Soft Tacos


I was recently sent a couple of the Old El Paso Restaurante kits to try out. I've been a fan of Old El Paso for quite a while now, since I love Mexican food and am also slightly lazy in the cooking department. I've already reviewed the Chicken Tinga variety of these new regionally inspired kits, and found it to be pretty awesome. Something I'd never tried before, however, is a fish taco, so I was interested to see how this Baja Fish kit would turn out.

The kit contains two seasonings, a crumb to coat your fish in, and one that you can use to whip up a sour cream based sauce. It's a pretty simple process, just grab a portion of white fish, cut it into chunks, roll it around in the crumbed seasoning and fry it up for a few minutes. Meanwhile, the other powder gets dumped into a healthy serving of sour cream, and whipped up. Boom, you're done. The preparation time is certainly a plus, and I was chowing down on these in no time. I picked up a red cabbage to pop into the tacos as well, as per the suggestion on the box, and I must say that when it's all put together these tacos taste pretty damn good. 

The crumb on the fish has a nice crunch to it, not too much but certainly a nice texture. The seasoning provides a nice bit of flavour, not particularly spicy by any means, but definitely a nice herby coating with a little bit of a kick to it. It is a little bland for my liking, but it does say it's mild on the box, so I can't complain too much. The sour cream seasoning, however, is great. The flavours are bolder, and the spices more intense, and the creaminess of the sour cream really brings it all together. Along with the red cabbage providing a satisfying crunch, all in all this kit makes some good tacos. I still prefer the Chicken Tinga variety, but for a guy who doesn't eat a lot of fish, I'd be willing to pick this kit up again.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment