Saturday 26 September 2015

Today's Review: Old El Paso Restaurante Pork Al Pastor Soft Tacos


Along with the Baja Fish tacos I received earlier this week, I also got this Pork Al Pastor kit. Another entry in the Restaurante range, this one uses pork loin (obviously) to emulate another classic regional Mexican flavour. Now, I'm not one to know my geographically specific cuisine, so I'll take Old El Paso's word for it. Not only does this kit contain a spice mix for the pork, but it also has a seasoning for a pineapple salsa, which certainly sounded interesting. All you have to do is chop up some pork, marinate it in the spices for five minutes, then fry it all up. As for the pineapple, you just have to mix in the chunks with the seasoning and pop it on top of your taco. Simple.

I like this kit a lot. I know pineapple is a classic pairing with pork, but I wasn't sure how the pineapple salsa would work out. Turns out the seasoning packs a spicy punch, which works with the fruity nature of the pineapple pretty well. The pork seasoning isn't as spicy, and while there didn't seem to be much marinade at first, it coated the pork quite well, resulting in some saucy, succulent pieces that tasted pretty good in the tacos. I couldn't really fault this kit, it makes a nice saucy, spicy taco with some great meaty and fruity flavours, and is probably up there with the Chicken Tinga variety as my favourites. This is definitely a great range, and I'll be buying more in the future.

My rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment