Saturday 10 October 2015

Today's Review: New York Bakery Co. Sweet Cinnamon Soft Pretzel Knots


I do love a good bagel, and the New York Bakery Co. make some good bagels. You know what I also like? A good soft pretzel, and those New York guys have started making them as well. I've been on the lookout for these for a while, I couldn't wait to try them. I had the choice of regular or cinnamon, and fancying a little bit of flavour, I went for the latter. I was prepared for some nice soft dough, with a nice sprinkling of spicy sweetness.

That's not what I got though. Soft pretzels should be, well, soft, chewy, fluffy even. These pretzels are literally just the New York Bakery Co. bagels in a different shape. It's the exact same dough, and it doesn't translate well. It's dry and stodgy, which is alright for a bagel, as that's meant to be generously covered in cream cheese, but you can't really do that here. What's more, the cinnamon doesn't blend well at all, it's doesn't add to the overall flavour, it just sits at the back of your mouth being uncomfortably spicy. Also, there aren't enough raisins. Not that I think raisins really belong in a soft pretzel, but I think if they had to have them, they should have gone all out with it. What we have here is an uneven, sparse fruitiness that does little to alleviate the dryness of the dough.

I like your bagels, guys, but you need to up your pretzel game. You ain't no Aubtie Anne's, that's for sure.

My rating: 1/5 

2 comments:

  1. Try microwaving these for 10 or 20 seconds (or toasting them), they are much better warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried toasting one, it did improve a little, but I'm certainly still not a fan...

      Delete