Wednesday 30 December 2015

Today's Review: Nescafé Café Menu Gingerbread Latte


Christmas may be over, but this afternoon I did my first food shop since the big day, and I've picked up a few festive dregs from the clearance aisles, as well as this limited edition version of Nescafé's Café Menu sachet drinks. I've grown to like gingerbread over the years, and it suits a latte pretty well, so I figured I'd give this a go while it was still relevant.


The instructions seem fairly simple, although there seem to be a lot of precise numbers on the back here. 85 degrees? 20 second wait time? I'm just trying to make a cup of coffee, I don't want to have to pack a thermometer and a stopwatch, and apparently a proper glass coffee house mug as well. Okay, I jest, I'm not up in arms about it. Basically you empty the sachet into a mug, pour some not quite boiling water on top, and stir it up twice, with an interval in between. This is meant to give it a lovely froth on top, but when I did it it didn't quite produce the amount that's displayed on the box. Maybe I should have prepared it in a proper glass mug after all.

The froth is present though, and it's quite latte like. The coffee is smooth and has a nice flavour to it, but the gingerbread sadly doesn't live up to the rest of the drink. I noticed on the ingredients that there's a distinct lack of ginger, and it shows in the taste. There's some amount of spice, but it's quite acidic and not particularly pleasant. I was somewhat glad when the milkiness of the coffee itself overwhelmed the flavour. While the gingerbread element isn't up to scratch, this is still an adequate latte. Not the standard you'd get in a coffee shop, but for something you knock up in your house with just a mug and a spoon it's not bad.

My rating: 3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment