Thursday 3 December 2015

Today's Review: Propercorn Smooth Peanut & Almond


With all the savoury popcorn flavours lining the shelves these days, it's nice to see some thought is still going into the sweet varieties. I was immediately drawn in by this bag, a peanut and almond popcorn. I can't say I've ever heard of peanut popcorn before, which is strange as it is such a great idea, and it fits in with the madness surrounding peanut butter products lately. This bag contains all very good, natural stuff, as evidenced by the very short ingredients list. Corn, rapeseed oil, some sugar and salt, peanut flour and ground almonds. Well, that's all you need really, isn't it?

While it only says "peanut" on the bag, I was hoping more for a peanut butter flavour, and this popcorn actually delivers pretty well on that front. I thought the choice of peanut flour was interesting, but I guess it's the best way to get it to stick to the kernels, and it actually lends a nice thick texture on top of the corn. The oil goes some way to lending a bit of moisture, and it does at times taste just like popcorn covered in peanut butter. The balance is a little off, however, and a very floury texture does start to dominate. Still, it didn't stop me devouring the whole bag, it's a very tasty and original popcorn flavour. I couldn't quite pick out the almond in the overall flavour, but given the strength of the peanut flour I'm led to believe it was working in the background to balance out the flavours and lend a bit more nuttiness to the overall taste. I can't complain, I came for the peanut, and this popcorn is a delicious peanut offering. This will definitely accompany me to the movies in the future.

My rating: 4/5



3 comments:

  1. Just tried this popcorn for the first time today and I agree that even though there isn't much almond flavour at all, it's still really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried and reviewed this last week and thought it was probably the best popcorn I've ever had. Agree with the lack of almond flavour but I really don't think it needs it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried and reviewed this last week and thought it was probably the best popcorn I've ever had. Agree with the lack of almond flavour but I really don't think it needs it!

    ReplyDelete