Tuesday 5 January 2016

Today's Review: M&S Tex Mex Burrito Bean Chips


I like crisps that are made out of other things besides potatoes. So I was happy to see M&S have brought out an interesting new range of chips in all manner of flavours, but this one in particular caught my eye. I like a good burrito, so why not eat it out of a bag? These chips are made from kidney beans, with some cheese flavouring and ancho chilli thrown in for good measure.

The kidney beans add a lovely texture to these chips. Sure, they're still mostly maize, but the beans give them a much fuller flavour, and a slight, shall I say, chewiness that lends to a more burrito-like taste.The chilli is well used, instead of overpowering everything else, it provdes a mellow heat that lasts throughout the life of the chip and sometime after. The cheesiness is probably the least effective part. It's noticeable, sure, but doesn't feel quite as authentic as the other ingredients. Thankfully there are some other spices, along with tomato and onion, thrown in there, and overall it creates a very burrito like experience. I know I wouldn't normally say this, but perhaps it could have been improved with a bit of meat, but the kidney beans go some way to providing the texture to fill that gap. These are very nice, and while it's not as good as eating a real burrito, it's probably as close as you're gonna get in a bag of chips.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment