Saturday 12 March 2016

Today's Review: Tesco Chocolate & Toffee Filled Hot Cross Buns


Whaddya know, I say yesterday how I've failed to find new Easter products, and I find two in as many days. Tesco have brought out a nice variety of hot cross buns over the years, but these are a nice new addition to the range, filled hot cross buns. I picked up the chocolate and toffee flavour, there's also a citrus and blueberry but sadly they were out of stock, I guess those must be good. This pack has a couple of white hot cross buns, with chocolate chips and toffee pieces, and a toffee fudge filling throughout.


It's a pretty decent amount of filling, which is great, but therein lies a little bit of a problem. It's a rich toffee sauce, and it's very nice, but there's just a little too much of it, and it gives quite a sickly overall flavour that sometimes overwhelms the other elements. Still, the chocolate is noticeable and sweet, and the dough is thick enough without becoming too stodgy and sickly. This is definitely quite a decadent treat, and it's not one you can easily cut up and fit in your toaster. In fact, the packaging says it's not suitable for heating at all. But I don't care what they say, I stuck one of these sucker under the grill and it became a lovely warm, melted mess of goodness. While I would normally skim over the offer of a regular hot cross bun, this is one I wouldn't mind eating again. It may be a little sickly, but it's a nice sweet twist on the original.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment