Tuesday 12 July 2016

Today's Review: Samai Plantain Chips


They make chips out of everything these days. Beetroot, parsnip, apple, it seems everything can be fried and sliced, and the plantain is no exception. Seeing as they're pretty inedible until they're cooked anyway, what better way to cook them than in fried, sliced form? I found a pack of these plantain chips in the reduced to clear section at Tesco, meaning they're trying to get rid of them or they just don't have another place for them. Either way, I figured I'd snag some up before they went, 50p for the bag wasn't so bad.

These are seasoned with Pacific sea salt. I'm sure there's something about Pacific sea salt that makes it different from all the other sea salts, but I wouldn't know the difference. All I know is these taste salty, and it's a good thing they do, because the chips themselves are quite bland. They are crunchier than I thought they would be, and they have something of a clean crispness to them, but taste wise they don't really have anything going for them. The salt provides a nice flavour that permeates the surface pretty well, but it doesn't go a whole way to providing a fantastic tasting chip, and the slightly soft texture ensures that the chip lasts slightly longer than the flavour does. So while these are nice enough for the first few chews, they soon devolve into something less tasty. Take out the "ant", because these are pretty plain chips.

My rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment