Thursday 28 July 2016

Today's Review: Sheep's Yoghurt Yoggipop


Today I paid a visit to Boydell's Dairy Farm, a lovely little place that I would highly recommend. After a day of milking cows and feeding goats and chickens, I couldn't think of a better way to unwind than relaxing with an ice lolly. Thankfully, the lollies were available in the shop, in the form of these Yoggipops, prepared on site with genuine sheep yoghurt. Now, I'm assuming sheep don't excrete yoghurt, and that some kind of magical process occurs to get them to this state, but I was more concerned with trying out this pretty interesting offering instead of learning the processes behind it. These Yoggipops were infused with several different fruits, such as blackcurrant, raspberry and strawberry, and there was even a honey flavour. But I went with the rhubarb, because I guess I was in a rhubarb mood.

I can't say I had an opinion on sheep yoghurt before, but I sure do now. It's... interesting. It has quite a heavy, creamy consistency, and something of a unique flavour. It's not bad tasting, it's just different, definitely a nice milky undertone, but clearly some way away from cow's milk. I wouldn't say it's quite as striking a taste difference as goat's milk, but it does have a tartness to it that made it not quite as good as the more popular animal milk. The texture and heaviness didn't sit too well with me either, it's a little too thick, and while the fruit pieces went some way to alleviating the texture and flavour, I wouldn't jump at the chance to try this out again. These are an interesting little snack, and worth trying out, but I don't think they'll be hitting the mainstream.

My rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment