Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Today's Review: Honey Monster Puffs


Sugar Puffs are a national institution. They're one of those classic breakfast cereals, alongside the Coco Pops, Rice Krispies and Weetos, and their iconic Honey Monster is most definitely in my top five favourite cereal mascots. But apparently Sugar Puffs are no more, they are now "Honey Monster Puffs". I think this name has been a thing for a while, in response to backlash from people who take issue to the word "Sugar" being in the title. Won't somebody please think of the children?! Apparently just changing the name but keeping the sugar content the same wasn't enough, as we now have a new recipe! But does new always mean better? Well, no, because they've taken out 25% of the sugar.

Now, normally, I wouldn't see reduced sugar as a bad thing, especially if it's done right. But this is a product whose very name relied on the existence of sugar, and now there's a sugar deficit, and it shows. These are, in essence, the same puffs, the texture and base flavour is the same. The honey and sweet sugar flavour is present as well, but not for long. After a few chews the sweetness abandoned me, and I was left chewing flavourless puffs, ready for the next spoonful that would inevitably disappoint me again. These aren't nice, they've ruined Sugar Puffs for everyone. I know it was for the children, but what about my inner child? Can't they leave Sugar Puffs around for adults like me who know the consequences of eating spoonfuls of sugar for breakfast? Can they not co-exist with Honey Monster Puffs, for parents who want to mindlessly snatch boxes off the shelf with little regard for nutritional content, then complain later that actually these are quite bad, and they probably should have gone for Shredded Wheat?

These didn't even make my wee smell. Everything we loved about Sugar Puffs is gone. For shame. For shame.

My rating: 1/5

3 comments:

  1. totally agree with your comments, im going to put my box of honey monster puffs in the bin.... theyre not worth wasting milk on. rating 0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bought a box yesterday what disgusted when had first bowl they have ruined this cereal tasteless oh and those little puffs not as soft and crispy as the original ruined 😦

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my what have you done they look terrible taste even worse
    I will no longer purchase these

    ReplyDelete