Friday 6 October 2017

Today's Review: Tesco Finest Candy Cane Crisps


Tesco: "Hold my beer"

Yes, you've read that right, these are candy cane flavoured crisps. I guess you can't get much more Christmassy than that, but it also feels like science has gone too far. Where alcohol, and even fruity crisps are becoming more common, I never thought I'd see a crisp flavour based on a confectionery. But here I am, having tucked into a bag of peppermint potato chips. The things I do for you guys.

I must say I was horrified and intrigued in equal measures when I saw these. I was pretty convinced they'd be an abomination, and I'm still not sure how I feel even after eating a few. What I can say is, these taste like candy canes. There's a bold peppermint flavour that's present from the first bite, and hangs around a fair amount in the aftertaste too, there's even a slight freshness to it. So I have a dilemma. On the one hand, even with no frame of reference, these are some good peppermint crisps. On the other, these are crisps, and they have no business being peppermint flavoured. Just because the flavouring's authentic, doesn't mean it works. The potato and mint are quite at odds with each other, and I can't say I enjoy these as much as I find these not entirely unpleasant. Another unique crisp flavour to tuck into this festive season, so by all means grab some, and horrify your friends and family. Just don't be surprised that they're not as awful as they sound.

My rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment