Saturday 15 August 2015

Today's Review: Peanut Butter Oreos


Oreos are becoming a big thing in the UK, but we seem to miss out on a few of the interesting flavours they have state side. Sure, we have Double Stuff and double chocolate, but I longed for something more. Thankfully, my silent prayers were answered, as now you can pick up peanut butter flavour Oreos. If there's one thing I like stuffed into snacks, it's peanut butter, and we all know how well chocolate and peanut butter go together, so I didn't hesitate in snagging a couple of packs of these.

To start with, I figured I'd give it the classic twist and lick technique, so that I may judge the peanut butter flavour filling on its own. I was greeted with something that certainly tastes like peanut butter. It's creamy and nutty, but something seems a little bit off. Perhaps it's the fact that the ingredients don't contain peanut butter, but this is certainly noticeable as a peanut butter flavour cream. It's nice, but there's an underlying sugary sweetness that offsets the saltiness of the peanut butter flavour. Still, an interesting filling, and certainly one I didn't mind in between those chocolate cookies. There were further problems when eating an Oreo in its entirety though. The dark, chocolatey taste of the cookies does overwhelm the filling quite a bit. While the regular vanilla cream makes its way through due to its sweet flavour, the more subdued and salty peanut butter cream just doesn't shine through enough. I did struggle a bit to taste it while eating the cookies, and while it certainly lingers in the after taste it makes for a pretty average Oreo while eating. I was really looking forward to trying these peanut butter Oreos out, but in the end I can't help but feel disappointed. They're good, sure, but I feel there's a lot more that could have been done to make these even better. After all, it's a winning combination on paper, it's just in practice they fall a little flat.

My rating: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. To me they have a slight coffee flavour

    ReplyDelete